Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Highland Lutheran Preschool: History

History of Higland Lutheran Church

(Highland Lutheran Preschool and Kindergarten)
Our congregation was founded September 21, 1883 by a group of Norwegian and German Lutheran immigrant families who desired Christian fellowship. Little did they realize that Highland would become one of the founding congregations in the State of Washington and one of the oldest church buildings west of the Mississippi River.

On January 7, 1887, the Anderson family of Portland, Oregon gave one acre of land to the congregation and the Centennial Church was built a short time later. Except for the kitchen add-on, constructed in 1900, the Centennial Church stands today as it did in 1887. Inside the Nave on the wall behind the altar is a wonderful original mural of Christ. The mural was designed and painted by Mr. Peter Moe, one of the congregation’s founders.

Language barriers during those first years resulted in two different worship services. As English became the dominant language, the congregations united through a series of mergers. With increased growth, a new worship building and classrooms were constructed on adjacent land in 1959, followed by a church school wing in 1968 and fellowship hall and updated kitchen In 1979.


Our Ministries include:

Preschool (ages 3-5) and Kindergarten call 263-2303
Christian Youth Group and family activities
“Sew & Sews” quilting group
Worship Choir
Men’s Breakfast Group
Titus's Tea, a women's bible study
Vine & Branches prayer chain
Marriage planning
Baptism preparation instructions
Youth group
Highland Fun Night for Families and Friends
Confirmation instruction
Highland Lutheran Preschool and Kindergarten
Vacation Bible School (summer)